Thursday 3 December 2015

What’s The Matter With Kids Today?

As the song goes. What indeed? I was walking home today, minding my own business as I always do, when on the other side of the road I saw a young, fair-haired boy throwing a hissy fit. I am a terrible judge of ages, but he couldn’t have been much more than ten years old. The woman with whom he was arguing looked young but was almost certainly his mother. There was another one, possible two, kids present, but this one was arguing vociferously, and obviously didn’t want to get in the car. He called her a pig, and used the word bloody, directed at her.

When I was growing up in the 60s - the 1960s, not the 1860s - the word bloody was not taboo even for the young, though it was frowned upon when used as a swear word, but any kid, boy or girl, who called his mother a pig would have been dealt summary justice. As things were, after some more protesting, he got in the car and they drove off. Is it really any surprise they’re now murdering their teachers?

No comments:

Post a Comment